Search This Blog

Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Car Doors Frozen Shut?

I was snowed in all day yesterday, with no electricity. So I was pretty dang excited to find out this morning that a good samaritan had plowed the road. When I went to start up the car though, I found that all four doors were frozen shut. What to do, what to do? A quick search of the internet came up with several ideas, the best in my opinion was to use a hair dryer to thaw them. That worked perfectly. And to keep it from happening again, the internet told me to spray a bit of silicone spray (available at any auto parts store) onto an old rag and wipe it onto all the rubber gaskets around your car doors. I'll give it a shot.

So problem solved. Once I got the car out though, I realized the front license plate was missing. Sigh... now to tackle that problem.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Another solution to frozen doors on a car is to rub the rubber gasket on the door with a bar of soap, keeps it from sticking for the whole winter. This is a very old solution to freezing doors on cars.

KMPO Staff said...

Hmmm... very interesting. I'll definetely give it a try because I haven't gotten to the auto parts store for silicone spray yet but soap is something I have around the house. Thanks Charles!