Search This Blog

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Car Doors Frozen Shut?

I was snowed in all day yesterday, with no electricity. So I was pretty dang excited to find out this morning that a good samaritan had plowed the road. When I went to start up the car though, I found that all four doors were frozen shut. What to do, what to do? A quick search of the internet came up with several ideas, the best in my opinion was to use a hair dryer to thaw them. That worked perfectly. And to keep it from happening again, the internet told me to spray a bit of silicone spray (available at any auto parts store) onto an old rag and wipe it onto all the rubber gaskets around your car doors. I'll give it a shot.

So problem solved. Once I got the car out though, I realized the front license plate was missing. Sigh... now to tackle that problem.

2 comments:

Charles said...

Another solution to frozen doors on a car is to rub the rubber gasket on the door with a bar of soap, keeps it from sticking for the whole winter. This is a very old solution to freezing doors on cars.

KMPO Staff said...

Hmmm... very interesting. I'll definetely give it a try because I haven't gotten to the auto parts store for silicone spray yet but soap is something I have around the house. Thanks Charles!

Kootenai Metropolitan Planning Organization (KMPO) is the Metropolitan Planning Organization for Kootenai County, Idaho. Federal law requires urbanized areas with populations exceeding 50,000 people to have an MPO. KMPO was formed in 2003, to provide coordinated transportation planning within Kootenai county for the public, cities, small towns, the county, the state, transit providers, and the Coeur d'Alene tribe.

KMPO's Board of Directors oversees KMPO for Kootenai County, ID. KMPO's Executive Director and Staff are responsible for day-to-day operational and administrative needs.