Search This Blog


Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Who's Responsible For Plowing What?

I'm not advocating yelling at anyone, but if you're planning to call your local jurisdiction and complain about anything snow or transportation-related, at least get the right agency. Here's a civics refresher on who's job it is to plow and de-ice what:

- The Idaho Transportation Department (ITD) is responsible for state highways and interstates. Anything with the words 'highway,' 'state route,' 'or 'I' (as in I90) are within ITD's jurisdiction.

- When a major state highway, like Highway 95, runs through a city, it is still the responsibility of ITD to plow it.

- Highway Districts are responsible for roads outside city limits. There are four highway districts in Kootenai County: Lakes, Post Falls, Eastside and Worley Highway Districts. Check your property tax statement to determine, which district you live in.

- Cities are responsible for clearing all roads inside the city limits.

- For those people who live in private developments, or gated communities, you are probably on your own. Many of these private developments have homeowners associations that assume those maintenance responsibilities.

I've been hearing that a lot of agencies are getting complaints about snow removal, etc. for areas that are not within their jurisdiction. So maybe this will help. First though, take a deep breath and go to your happy place. Then make the call.

No comments: