Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Watch Out For Water And Elk On Roadway

If you drive in rural areas, you may encounter a new obstacle while driving; standing water. A flood advisory remains in effect across much of the Inland Northwest after rain left pools of water in fields and along low-lying roads. Here's my legal disclaimer: that picture isn't of an actual event in our area, it was taken off the internet for the purpose of humor.

I was out in the Stateline area this morning and there are places where water is starting to creep over the road, and more rain is expected this weekend. Another thing I saw in that area was a huge herd of elk standing on the railroad tracks trying to cross Trent. Semis and other cars were barreling by in both directions at 60 miles an hour and I was scared a train would come along and scare the elk into entering traffic. I called the Spokane Regional Transportation Management Center, who reported it to the State Police, whom I saw headed that way just a few minutes later, but I don't know what happened after that. I tried to take a picture but was afraid that would also cause a traffic 'incident.'

No comments: