Search This Blog

Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sandpoint Project One Of Most Expensive In State History

I know Sandpoint isn't in Kootenai County, but it's regional and a lot of Kootenai County folks head up there in the summer to take advantage of the tourism opportunities so I'm going to use this story anway:

Congratulations Sandpoint, you've got one of the most expensive transportation projects in Idaho's history going on right in your backyard. That's right, The Sand Creek By-Way in Sandpoint is expected to cost $98 million, which is a whole lot by Idaho transportation standards.

KREM 2 News has the story.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the economic stimulus now -- because when it's done, it's going to suck the life out of downtown Sandpoint.

KMPO Staff said...

You're not alone in that way of thinking Anonymous. I haven't studied the issue so don't feel confident in voicing an opinion one way or another, but there are also the people who say that getting the locals out of the downtown area to get to their jobs, school, etc. will make tourists happier and maybe encourage people passing through to stay. Last time I was up there last summer pulling a boat, it was a major pain getting through so I didn't stop, despite the whining from my passenger, as I wasn't sure how hard it would be to get back into traffic once I got out.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out and how Sandpoint adapts.