Tuesday, January 10, 2012
TOP 10 TRANSPORTATION ISSUES TO BE DISCUSSED IN THE YEAR AHEAD
AASHTO reported the top 10 transportation issues that are certain to be discussed and legislated in the year ahead. Here they are:
1. Enacting a long-term surface transportation reauthorization bill.
2. Managing in lean times -- how states address the problem of the nation's aging bridges, highways, and transit systems with stagnant or reduced funding.
3. Responding to and planning for natural disasters.
4. Reducing traffic deaths.
5. Increasing the visibility of transportation as an issue in the upcoming presidential campaign.
6. Generating new ways to fund transportation.
7. Advancing intercity passenger rail.
8. Engaging the business community in support of transportation.
9. Serving a growing elderly population, both rural and urban.
10. Responding to new stormwater reforms and other environmental regulations.
Here is the link to the full article: http://www.aashtojournal.org/Pages/010612year.aspx
Our federal and state legislatures haves a lot on their plate. We will keep you informed if they come up with any solutions.