Governor Butch Otter today introduced a transportation plan- then urged lawmakers to pass it. The five bills that make up the plan would:
* Phase in a shift of funding for the Idaho State Police from the gas tax to state general funds, making the gas taxes that now go to ISP available for road work.
* Impose a 6% daily excise tax on car rentals.
* Increase the gas tax by 2 cents a year each year for five years.
* Increase car and truck registration fees over the next five years.
* Eliminate the current ethanol exemption, to save about $4.1 million a year.
Here's more on the transportation plan.